BASKETBALL ARBITRAL TRIBUNAL (BAT)
Mr. Ulrich Haas
in the arbitration proceedings between
Mr. Philipp Brooks
represented by Mr. Micah Brooks, attorney at law
Vela Keller P.C., 5307 E. Mockingbird Lane
Suite 802 Dallas, TX 75206
Al-Khor Sports Club
P.O. Box 1105 Al-Khor, Qatar
represented by Mr. Mohammed Meqled Al Merakhi, General Secretary
– Claimant –
– Respondent –
Upon providing both parties with an opportunity to be heard, having ascertained his jurisdiction and considered the factual and legal arguments as well as the requests for relief submitted in this case, the Arbitrator decides as follows:
1. Al-Khor Sports Club is ordered to pay to Mr. Philip Brooks the amount of
USD 27,300.00 for breach of contract.
2. The costs of this arbitration until the present Award, which were determined by the President of the BAT to be in the amount of EUR 5,065.19, shall be borne by Al-Khor Sports Club. Accordingly, Al-Khor Sports Club shall pay to Mr. Philip Brooks EUR 5,065.19.
3. Al-Khor Sports Club is ordered to pay to Mr. Philip Brooks the amount of EUR 4,500.00 as a contribution towards his legal fees and expenses. Al-Khor Sports Club shall bear its own legal fees and expenses.
4. Any arbitration costs associated with a Request for Reasons (see attached
Notice) shall be advanced and borne by the requesting party.
5. Any other or further-reaching requests for relief are dismissed.
Geneva, seat of the arbitration, 12 June 2014
Arbitral Award 2/3 (BAT 0482/13)
Notice about Request for Reasons
in accordance with Article 16.2 of the BAT Rules:
“By agreeing to submit their dispute to arbitration under these Rules, the Parties agree that, where the value of the dispute does not exceed EUR 30,000, the Arbitrator will issue an award without reasons. The Arbitrator shall deliver reasons only in the case where a party
a) files a request to that effect at any stage from when the Request for Arbitration is filed until no later than ten (10) days after the notification of the award without reasons; and
b) pays the respective advance on costs as determined and within the time limit set by the BAT Secretariat.”
On 7 January 2014 the BAT Secretariat informed the Parties that the amount of the advance on costs to be paid for a reasoned award in this case is EUR 5,000. The time limit for payment thereof shall be set by the BAT Secretariat upon receipt of the Request for Reasons, if any.
Arbitral Award 3/3 (BAT 0482/13)